Choose one sexually transmitted disease. Access relevant public health data and report the following for a specific area.
- What is the prevalence and/or incidence of the disease in the area?
- How does this compare with the region and rest of the UK?
- What is the trend (i.e. is prevalence increasing or decreasing)?
A test to screen for the sexually transmitted disease discussed above is being trialed. Data from the trial is given below. (Table to be provided)
- Calculate the sensitivity of the test. What does this mean?
- Calculate its specificity. What does this mean?
- Calculate its positive predictive value. What does this mean?
- Calculate its negative predictive value. What does this mean?
- What do you think of the accuracy of this test?
- How does it match up to any 4 criteria for a screening test? (please see CANVAS folder on screening, the 4 criteria are not those that you have just calculated)
- Would you recommend that your general hospital adopts this screening program and test – give reasons
Number of words