Write a short paper (maximum three pages, double-spaced) choosing a population in our society that is viewed as disadvantaged or discriminated against, such as persons living in poverty, people with a disability, individuals with mental illness, immigrants, a minority ethnic or religious group, native peoples, children or youth, or members of the LGBT community.
- How are social problems defined or viewed by society in relation to this population?
- How are social justice issues framed in relation to this population?
- What do social workers do when working with this population (this is a micro system perspective)? Explain and evaluate:
- How do they assess needs, engage clients, and design and deliver interventions?
- How do they validate their processes and practices (how do they know their interventions work)?
- How do social beliefs influence the way this group or population is viewed and supported by the social work profession? (This is a macro system perspective.)
- What is your appraisal of the relationship between the philosophical intentions of social work, the United States mindset regarding this population, and society in general?
Note: Your instructor may also use the Writing Feedback Tool to provide feedback on your writing. In the tool, click the linked resources for helpful writing information.
To successfully complete this assignment, you must meet the following requirements:
- Written communication: Written communication is free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA formatting: Resources and citations are formatted according to APA (sixth edition) style and formatting.
- Number of resources: Minimum of 4 resources.
- Length of paper: 3 pages, double-spaced, not counting cover page and references.
- Font and font size: Arial or Times New Roman, 12-point.